[Mapserver-dev] 4.4 release plan

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 24 22:23:20 EDT 2004

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Let's see how much work the others (Assefa and Steve mostly) have left
> to do. Maybe we could branch within 1 week or two if the time and WCS
> stuff done in time, and then you could start committing FastCGI stuff to
> 4.5 in early October. Is it an option at all for you to start the
> FastCGI stuff only in a few weeks, after we branch 4.4?

Daniel,

Branching within a couple of weeks, and me holding all commits till then
could work for me.  I can't hold off on starting the FastCGI stuff as there is
a need for performance demonstrations in pretty short order.  But those
initial time trials can go on without committing code in CVS.

I would add that the way I am changing things I don't anticipate alot of
breakage.  In particular, I am not altering lots of argument lists to
pass in special arguments.  I am basically replacing printf() and fprintf()
calls with msIO_printf() and msIO_fprintf().  The default (non-FastCGI) case
is just to #define those symbols back to printf() and fprintf().  So with
a bit of care we could even deliver a 4.4 in which some FastCGI work has been
done, but where the FastCGI is not a supported option.

I certainly agree that it is wise to start the 4.4 release process pretty soon
if we want to get it out in time for Christmas.