[Mapserver-dev] FastCGI and MapServer 4.4

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Mon Sep 27 17:42:17 EDT 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 2:40 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> OK, my understanding now is that it would be quite desirable from
>> Refractions
>> point of view to include the FastCGI support in MapServer 4.4 - though
>> presumably it would normally be "compiled out".  I am willing to put
>> whatever
>> effort is necessary to get FastCGI support done quickly and in as
>> undangerous a means as possible as well as to fix any issues that
>> arise promptly.
>> So, this is me pleaing for permission to put the FastCGI support (and
>> new style
>> connection pooling for at least SDE) into 4.4.
>
> To be honest, I'm a bit worried about doing that kind of changes
> (mostly connection pooling) at the last minute before a release, but
> if you are confident that they can be compiled out by default and not
> cause any side-effects and would not delay the release, then let's try
> to fit them in 4.4.
>
> But once again it's not just my call: I am just trying to facilitate
> the release process between all the developers. So far only you and
> Assefa have replied to my call for a 4.4 release plan... what do the
> other developers think of my proposed plan?
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

I think that we should reserve some time to shake the bugs out after
the new connection pooling and make sure that it is ready for use with
mapscript before releasing 4.4.

The 4.2.0 release was somewhat broken.  Maybe we could agree if we'd
like the 4.4.0 to be more or less bug free, and ask if a longer period
between feature freeze and release than last time will help?

Sean