4.6 release plan

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Apr 19 20:41:48 EDT 2005

Steve Lime wrote:
> As long as you consider a partially implemented feature (like some of
> the application specific schema stuff) as being legit to work on post
> feature freeze, then I can live with this. I have two siginificant
> pieces going on: the GML3/application schema stuff and GEOS integration.
> The latter is almost finished, but the former is going to take some
> time.  I'll port my changes for WFS GML to the WMS writer and re-initiate
> some discussion on a couple of topics:
>
>   - controlling WFS output type (GML2/GML3/????)
>   - WFS schema creation
>   - changes to WFS queries brought about by finer control of GML
> output

Well, the idea of the feature freeze is that after that date nothing
should happen that would significantly break things so that we can reach
our objective of fixing all critical bugs and having release quality by
the planned release date.

I have entered those two items in the Wiki page.

The GEOS thing is the one that would scare me the most but you say that
it's mostly done.

With respect to the GML thing, it affects only WFS/WMS so it's not too
bad if it's not finished yet, but would have to be completed in the next
2-3 weeks or otherwise this part may not have been properly tested for
the release.

BTW, I have found that the 6 weeks release cycle with 3 betas has worked
really well in the past to produce a quality release in time, but if you
or others think that this is too long then we could discuss other ideas.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca