fast-cgi

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 29 09:41:07 EDT 2005

On 4/29/05, Fernando Simon <fsimon at univali.br> wrote:
> Hi Hubb,
>     I saw the same issue here, more than one process for fastcgi. I
> don't know why this problem occur, in my test it's occur when the data
> that Mapserver needs to load is high.
>     The big problem in this case is that only one process is use, the
> others don't receive any call, only using memory.
>     I don't have any hints about this. Is it a maporaclespatial,
> fastcgi, or another code problem?
>     Any hints?

Fernando,

This is a fast-cgi configuration isssue in your Apache config file.
I don't recall all the details, but there are options to the FasttCgiConfig
directive to control the minimum and maximum number of working
cgi's it should start, as well as controlling lifetime.  For a heavy-weight
process like MapServer I would suggest limiting it to two or three
worker cgi's at a time.

You can also control lifetime of the cgi's so if you continue to see
some memory leaks, you might want to limit the lifetime to a couple
of minutes so they get restarted fairly often but not for every request.