MapServer performance issue

Steve Lime steve.lime at DNR.STATE.MN.US
Wed Feb 16 13:01:33 EST 2005

I think we can go even faster with better improvements in bug 1243.
Hopefully I'll have some
tiime late this week to test...

>>> Julien-Samuel Lacroix <jlacroix at DMSOLUTIONS.CA> 2/14/2005 3:13:35
PM >>>
Hi guys,

For bug 1224, I made some profiling. The results are interesting. Add
yourself in CC if you are interested or if you have any idea (or
idea of what have been suggested) to fix them.

My result (from bug 1224):

I made a lot of profiling in mapserver for this bug. My tests were
on 50 consecutive call to mapserv CGI 4.0 and 4.5. I used the gmap
mapfile. My profiler as gprof.

This gave me the following result:
4.0: 6.18 sec for 50 requests.
4.4: 7.56 sec for 50 requests.
This gives a diference of 1.38 sec.

In that, I found that the main differences were in a GD function
(gdImageStringFT in msDrawTextGD) (1.66 sec with 4.0 vs 2.51 sec with
4.4), and in all access to points object (around 0.45 sec lost

The lost in msDrawTextGD is due to 7 calls to gdImageStringFT instead
3 calls in 4.0.  This problem will be discussed in bug 1243.

The lost of performance due to point objects manipulation is due to
addition of the z parameter in the point object. A solution for this
will be discussed in bug 1244.

I made a test by resolving both issue like proposed in the two bugs
it end with this result:
4.4: 6.20 sec for 50 requests
4.0: 6.52 sec for 50 requests

Julien-Samuel Lacroix            jlacroix at
DM Solutions Group     

More information about the mapserver-dev mailing list