spaces in wms_layer_group

Jeff de La Beaujardiere jeff2005 at SVS.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Fri Jun 17 15:26:16 EDT 2005

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
 > what happens if you use an invalid entry for wms_layer_group,
 > like the last one you point out?

Well, what *was* happening is that the Cap XML had a message about a
parsing error instead of a list of layers.
- worked with /Aqua MODIS 1km imagery
- failed with /Aqua MODIS 1km imagery/2005/2005-06
- worked with /Aqua_MODIS_1km_imagery/2005/2005-06

However, now when I try to reproduce the problem I cannot. I have since
changed a number of other things in the mapfile, so I need to see if I
can resurrect the old one. Perhaps the problem was situated between my
keyboard and my chair.

-Jeff DLB

P.S. The server in question provides images of the Atlantic and Gulf of
Mexico for a hurricane prediction project. It is located at

http://map05.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/modis?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

I haven't announced it broadly yet, but members of the mapserver-dev
list are welcome to try it out. I have been very impressed by the
performance of tiled TIFFs with overviews compared to the large PNGs I
am given as source data, especially when requesting small images of this
large dataset.