gfs output in Maserver 4.5 using gdal1.2.5

Wed Mar 9 14:29:26 EST 2005

All: Remember I've been adding some transformation support to WFS output
as detailed
in bugs 884 and 950. One of those changes is to allow users to limit
which items are output
as part of the GML. Dan and I chatted about this in bug 950. As
implemented now ALL items
are excluded from output, you must opt in. This easy to do, just add a
line like:

   gml_include_items 'all'

to the layer metadata and magically all items will appear. Please look
at the text of bug 950
for an explanation of the transformations that I have put in place.
Note the transformations
are only in effect for GML output. I've not had time to tweak
describeCoverage output yet.

We may want to tweak these behaviors a bit, but hey, it's a development
version...

Steve

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:47:48 -0500, Yewondwossen Assefa
> <assefa at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
>
>>Hi There,
>>
>>  I was just testing the wfs output and came accross an issue that I
do
>>not really understand.  The wfs get feature request produces a gml
and a
>>gfs file.  In Mapserver 4.4.X (using gdal1-2.5), the gfs contains
>>attribute informations (<PropertyDefn>) . In Mapserver 4.5
(gdal1.2.5),
>>the attributes informations are not included in the file.
>>
>>  Does anyone has a quick explanation on this ? I am using the same
test
>>map file in both cases.
>

> Assefa,
>
> This is using MapServer as a WFS server (not a client), right?
> I didn't think that MapServer itself would write out a .gfs file to
> go with a .gml result.  My understanding was that .gfs files
> are only created by OGR when opening a previously unopened
> gml file.
>
> I have done quite a bit of work in GDAL post-1.2.5 to support
> GML 3 Level 0 schemas, and in this case OGR is not supposed
> to create a .gfs file.  But you mention you are using GDAL 1.2.5
> in both cases, right?
>
> Are the GML files similar?

Frank,

I am using Mapserver as a server and a client. That exaplains my
confusion too : I understand now that Mapserver as a server produces
the
gml file and when OGR is used to read the gml (for the wfs client),
the
gfs file is created. Both files were created almost at the same and I
was not really thinking :)

Your are right about the diffrence in the gml file produced : I just
checked them and they are effectivly diffrent between 4.4 and 4.5. The
4.4 gml had attributes attched to it :

  <gml:featureMember>
       <popplace>
         <gml:boundedBy>
                <gml:Box srsName="EPSG:42304">
                        <gml:coordinates>
                                2281604.250000,340848.937500
2281604.250000,340848.937500
                        </gml:coordinates>
                </gml:Box>
         </gml:boundedBy>
         <gml:pointProperty>
           <gml:Point srsName="EPSG:42304">

<gml:coordinates>2281604.250000,340848.937500</gml:coordinates>
           </gml:Point>
         </gml:pointProperty>
         <AREA>0.000</AREA>
         <PERIMETER>0.000</PERIMETER>
         <POPPLACE_>8</POPPLACE_>
         <POPPLACE_I>1</POPPLACE_I>
         <UNIQUE_KEY>BACMK</UNIQUE_KEY>
         <NAME>Tignish</NAME>
         <NAME_E></NAME_E>
         <NAME_F></NAME_F>
         <UNIQUE_K_1></UNIQUE_K_1>
         <UNIQUE_K_2></UNIQUE_K_2>
         <REG_CODE>11</REG_CODE>
         <NTS50>021I16</NTS50>
         <LAT>465700</LAT>
         <LONG>640200</LONG>
         <SGC_CODE>0</SGC_CODE>
         <CAPITAL>0</CAPITAL>
         <POP_RANGE>1</POP_RANGE>
       </popplace>
     </gml:featureMember>

  The 4.5 version does not have that :

  <gml:featureMember>
       <popplace>
         <gml:boundedBy>
                <gml:Box srsName="EPSG:42304">
                        <gml:coordinates>
                                2499190.000000,194088.234375
2499190.000000,194088.234375
                        </gml:coordinates>
                </gml:Box>
         </gml:boundedBy>
         <gml:pointProperty>
           <gml:Point srsName="EPSG:42304">

<gml:coordinates>2499190.000000,194088.234375</gml:coordinates>
           </gml:Point>
         </gml:pointProperty>
       </popplace>
     </gml:featureMember>

  I guess this quetion to be asked is why the new gml output in
Mapserver 4.5 does not include the attributes ? Or what should I
include
to get the attributes ? I did not follow really closly the new GML
implementation (maybe I should have :)

Later,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst