PHP/Mapscript regex problem -- Any volunteers?

Bill Binko bill at BINKO.NET
Fri May 13 04:45:38 EDT 2005

Hello, everyone,

I've been through the archive to this list, and I notice that there have
been several efforts to solve the problems associated with the
PHP/Mapscript regex() problems.  As I am proficient in PHP, and have no
real desire to learn a new language (no matter how wonderful
Ruby/Python/etc. are), I would really like to see PHP/Mapscript working.

However, I have had one devil of a time getting it to build.  Now it
builds, and crashes on startup.

I think I have an idea what one of the problems are: msEvalRegex() is
sending a stack address to regfree(), which then corrupts the stack.  The
non-php regex library is probably more forgiving.

I would be happy to work with anyone else in solving this problem.
Ideally, the build could be improved to not require the PHP sources as
well (as long as the .h and .so files were there).  I have not
investigated into doing that.

Back in 2004, there was a note in the archives that looked like people
were on this:

http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0410&L=mapserver-users&D=0&I=-3&X=3C515E2B785858C754&Y=bill@binko.net&P=48488

If anyone involved would like to work with me on this, I'd appreciate
their experience.

Thanks
Bill

PS: feel free to contact me off-list if you'd prefer.