Mapserver leaving cursors opened in Oracle?

Thijs Brentjens thijs.brentjens at GEODAN.NL
Fri May 13 03:51:31 EDT 2005

Hi list,

This problem was posted on the list of Geoserver as well because it is
either related to Geoserver or to Mapserver. These two applications are
running on the same Oracle database. It seems that Geoserver is not causing
it, so maybe somebody at this list can help me out :).

Anyway, there seems to be a problem with closing cursors (queries) on an
Oracle 10g database. Eventually this causes Oracle to throw an error:

ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded.

AFAIK, this exception is caused when an application is not closing its
queries (cursors) correctly. When taking a look at the cursors that remain
opened (in Oracle), there is one cursor (SQL-query) that comes up a lot:

SELECT info from SCS.MDRT_112AA$ where rowid = :rid

This is a query on a spatial index (SCS.MDRT_112AA$). I think that
Mapserver may not close this one correctly, but I'm not sure. Can anyone
tell me whether this SQL is made by Mapserver? Or did somebody have this
problem (with too many open cursors) as well?

Regards,
Thijs