MS RFC 8: Pluggable External Feature Layer Providers

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Oct 27 09:03:54 EDT 2005

Sean Gillies wrote:

> I want to be able to use absolute paths instead of a combination of
> relative path and environment variable or config property, and I  think
> others will also want this option.

Can you please explain why that's needed? Is this simply because you
don't want to be forced to place all your plugins in the same directory
or are there other reasons?

If we allowed the PLUGIN arg to contain path components relative to the
MS_PLUGIN_DIR var *if it is set*, just like the DATA statement works
relative to the SHAPEPATH, but not the .so/.dll extension then would
that do the trick for you?

e.g.

MAP
   CONFIG "MS_PLUGIN_DIR" "/opt/mapserver/plugins"

   LAYER
     CONNECTIONTYPE CUSTOM
     PLUGIN "/path/to/anotherdir/myplugin"
    END

   LAYER
     CONNECTIONTYPE CUSTOM
     PLUGIN "myplugin"
    END
END

> Jani,
>

> What would you think about a change from CONNECTIONTYPE CUSTOM ->
> CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN? I think that the meaning of "PLUGIN" will be
> more clear to users.

I like this idea.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca