MS RFC 8: Pluggable External Feature Layer Providers

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Thu Oct 27 08:50:58 EDT 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 5:47 AM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Jani Averbach wrote:
>

>> I would like to ask MS TSC to vote for this proposal. I am sorry
>> that this
>> came so late, but if this passes, it will be ready and implemented
>> for coming 4.8
>> before feature freeze.
>>

> You realize that Oct 31st is only 4 days away?
>

>> The proposal is important because it actually implements the way
>> to include external
>> providers for Mapserver.  As technically, it isn't very big
>> because mostly all work
>> has been done by MS-RFC-3 (vtable architecture).
>>
>> http://ms.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-8
>>

> In the proposal you wrote:
>

>> Technical Solution
>>
>>     * New MAP-file keyword PLUGINLIB with string argument. This
>> keywords tells which library dynamically to load for this layer.
>>     * New connection type CUSTOM
>>

> So this means that the PLUGINLIB parameter needs to be set explicitly
> for each layer that uses a given plugin? Is the value the full path
> to a
> .so file (DLL on Windows)? e.g.
> PLUGINLIB  "/opt/mapserver/plugins/myplugin.so"
>
> This could make it painful to migrate mapfiles from windows to Linux
> because then you need to edit every single layer to change the path
> and
> extension.
>
> How about a more automated mechanism where we set a MS_PLUGIN_DIR
> variable in the environment prior to calling MapServer or via a CONFIG
> directive at the map level, then the PLUGINLIB becomes a PLUGIN
> keyword
> whose value is the basename of the plugin file?
>
> e.g. the example above becomes:
>
> MAP
>    CONFIG "MS_PLUGIN_DIR" "/opt/mapserver/plugins"
>
>    LAYER
>      CONNECTIONTYPE CUSTOM
>      PLUGIN "myplugin"
>     END
> END
>

> Daniel
>   Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
>   DM Solutions Group              http://www.dmsolutions.ca/

Daniel,

I want to be able to use absolute paths instead of a combination of
relative path and environment variable or config property, and I
think others will also want this option.

Jani,

What would you think about a change from CONNECTIONTYPE CUSTOM ->
CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN? I think that the meaning of "PLUGIN" will be
more clear to users.

Sean

---
Sean Gillies