Adding operating system detection to configure for bug 1209

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Apr 7 09:37:20 EDT 2006

Umberto Nicoletti wrote:
> A month has passed without any objections so I believe no one is
> opposing this change.
>
> After some thoughts I am going to call the configure option --with-os
> (I dumped the name part which is redundant) and I will commit to cvs
> HEAD next week (last call for comments).
>> - configure option name and explanation text
>> - os checking code: should we use the AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM macro instead?

Umberto,

Sorry, I never noticed this the first time around.

Does your patch use AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM or does it require the configurer
to supply the os name?  It seems unfortunate if we would always force
builders to know the java include directory name for their system if
we could avoid that somehow, even just with a good default.

I'm a little leery about calling the option --with-os as I can't see
many non-Java applications.  In fact if there were another package with
similar issues it seems likely that it would use a slightly different
naming scheme.  I think I would prefer something like
--with-java-include-sys-name if possible.

All that said, my objections are just suggestions.  I can live with your
approach.