4.10/5.0 Roadmap?

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Wed Feb 1 09:32:42 EST 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 11:00 PM, Steve Lime wrote:

> Hi all: I think we need to get something together sooner rather than =
> later. Lot's of great ideas out there but nothing is prioritized. I
> have a =
> couple of essentially "funded" additions: RFC 9 and some basic WFS =
> additions:
>
>   - featureID queries
>   - layer-specific name spaces
>   - linking to application schema instead of generating one (layer =
> specific)
>
> Beyond that there's the copious free time on nights and weekends
> that I'm =
> working on this stuff.
>
> What other funded efforts do folks have cooking in the near future?
> What =
> should be priority additions? Are there additions that are of
> particular =
> interest to folks that they would be interested in working on?
>
> If I had to list some priorities right now, the top 5 would be:
>
> - GEOS C++ =3D> C port and fully exposing the GEOS operators to
> MapScript
>
> - label prioritization enhancements
>
> - labels that follow paths
>
> - alternative coordinate specifications for inline features (e.g.
> relative =
> to image dimensions)
>
> - limiting legend display to visible classes
>
> Of course, there are intriguing things to work on like an
> alternative =
> rendering backend to GD (e.g. Cairo). That's not a one person job
> (at =
> least I know I couldn't pull it off).
>
> Steve

Steve,

I think a better renderer, coupled with named styles, feature (not
layer) transparency, and path-following labels would be a great 5.0
target. As long as we continue to make incremental changes to this
and that, we should continue with 4.10, 4.11, etc.

I really don't have any more plans for 4.x other than bug fixes and
helping out the Java and C# folks.

cheers,
Sean