MapServer "version" info missing in 4.8

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Feb 2 14:58:38 EST 2006

Steve,

I see that in December you removed the MapServer
version information from HTML processed output by
commenting out the following line in mapserv.c:

  	  /* msIO_printf("<!-- %s -->\n", msGetVersion()); */

Was this done since the result was not valid XML, when
you did the upgrade to support XML output?

I think this is pretty useful information to include in the
output.  Would it be OK to re-enable it if the output is
HTML?  Or perhaps generate a meta tag or
something similar?

I gather there is a [VERSION] replacement item, so folks
can decide to include the version info if they want.  But
for debugging purposes it would be awefully handy to include
it by default.