Fix for bug #1629

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Feb 6 08:50:14 EST 2006

On 2/3/06, Umberto Nicoletti <umberto.nicoletti at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we need to setup a server that will check out the sources
> every night from cvs and will build them along with performing the
> tests. The report would then be mailed to the mapserver-dev.
>
> This central server then would have a standard environment that could
> be replicated by the interested parties on their workstations if they
> wanted to setup automated tests privately.
>
> There could also be many different builds with different versions of
> gdal, proj, with or without wms, etc. Should we make this an rfc,
> maybe?

Umberto,

I certainly think this would be a very important step
forward.  One issue is where to host it.  I think the
host system should be one that several project team
members will have access to for some surety of
maintenance.

Assuming noone has a stable server they are willing
to provide fairly broad access to already, I think we
might want to wait till there is an OSGeo test server
where this could be setup.

In the meantime, you might want to do some of this
now locally.  I also think we might persue this informally
for now, and not try to issue an RFC till we have some
things working, and we want to formalize responsibilities
around the build-and-smoke-test setup.