MS RFC 10: Joining the Open Source Geospatial Foundation

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Feb 6 10:08:46 EST 2006

All,

I would like to put forward RFC 10, which is a proposal for MapServer
to decide to actively participate and join the Open Source Geospatial
Foundation.  I expect that there will be more official information
about the meeting and its outcome shortly, but there has been plenty
of weblog activity about the meeting (plus hours worth of IRC logs
that give even more detail) [1].

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-10/

Deciding whether or not to join and participate in OSGeo jumps beyond
the mere technical (but it also has an impact on the technical side
of the project), as is the purview of the MTSC.  It is, however, the
only "official" decision-making body the MapServer project has.  The
process I propose is as follows:

1.  The MTSC goes through its normal process, including amending the
proposal as necessary and voting using its normal +1/-1 method.
After MTSC approval, the proposal is to be put forward to the
community.

2.  The community is given three days to provide input and vote via
the website's non-anonymous polling system (the same thing that we
used for polls over the last few months).  If a majority of the
community is also in agreement, the proposal to join and participate
in OSGeo will be considered passed.

OSGeo provides an organization that will be broad in scope and
specific in purpose that will provide benefits to its member projects
that they alone could not hope to accomplish.  One of the most
important is that it will act as an umbrella to all of the projects,
providing organization and support to the Open Source GIS community.
This goes and grows way beyond the naming debates and somewhat
limited foundation announcement that the open letter signatories
proposed in late November of last year.  In my opinion, there was
general consensus that a foundation-like entity was needed, but the
specific implementation of what was proposed earlier was not
desirable.

Howard

[1]
http://spatialgalaxy.net/?p=8