Issue #1664: Unit Test support for mapserver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Feb 14 11:35:00 EST 2006

Umberto Nicoletti wrote:
> I have opened issue #1664 to track comments, feedback and of course
> criticisms on the much needed (IMHO) addition of unit tests to
> mapserver.

Umberto,

I trust you are aware there are already two varieties of test suite
already in place for mapserver, right?  Sean's Python MapScript based
units tests, and my higher level render tests in the msautotest suite.

I think there could be a legitimate need for unit tests in C for
some items, but it seems to me the reason would need to be pretty
compelling if you hope to get broad interest and support from the other
developers.

Currently it seems we have roughly as many test suite mechanisms as we
have developers interested in using and supporting them.

I imagine you ought to write an RFC proposal on your unittest approach
before it is integrated into MapServer.