KML anyone

Hal Eden haleden at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Feb 20 15:14:53 EST 2006

On Feb 18, 2006, at 11:03 PM, MAPSERVER-DEV automatic digest system
wrote:

> From: "cholmes (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists at NABBLE.COM>
> Date: February 18, 2006 12:07:17 PM MST
> Subject: Re: KML anyone
>

> We've actually made some good progress in KML support in GeoServer,
> but one
> thing that we found is that KML output is actually better geared
> for WMS
> instead of WFS.  Why?  Because KML is really a display format. If
> you just
> use WFS, then your kml will look quite boring, since it's just the
> data.

okay, you've lost me.  i guess i don't know the distinction you are
trying to make. i am generating style info along with my KML, but
guess i don't know enough about WFS to know whether this is
appropriate (it sounds like not, if i interpret your statement
correctly).

i guess i took the approach as path of least resistance, given that i
was using mapgml.c as my starting point, and it seemed simpler to
produce it from a WFS request than to patch it in elsewhere (that
doesn't make the choice correct!)

is KML only a display format or is it only a display format if all
you use it for is display? (i use it other programs and manipulate it
as data, although admittedly, it does end up being pushed back to GE
for display).

is WFS restricted to contain no style information, or is it that GML
provides no style information?

i'd appreciate further insights (as i said, i'm not that
knowledgeable about WFS issues).

> Instead it should follow the same rendering rules as the WMS style,
> using
> either the mapserver rendering language or SLD (as GeoServer
> does).  With
> this you can request a style, and have it appear the same as a jpeg
> or as
> KML in your google earth.

> We do lack the z-coordinate stuff though, we basically just put in
> a dummy 0
> coordinate for the required z, but it ends up looking fine, you
> just can't
> do the crazy 3d stuff.

i'm already using WMS layers to overlay onto GE. what i was trying to
do was get at providing the z-coordinate info, when available.