KML anyone

Hal Eden haleden at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Feb 20 15:28:33 EST 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Steve Lime wrote:

> Hal: Sounds cool. Can you summarize the extent of your hacks?
> Perhaps a sample URL or two? I'm assuming you added a KML output
> option to the WFS engine (alongside GML and GML3), and a mapkml.c.

yep, exactly.

here's an example url: (rejoin if your reader chops this up)

http://pitapb.cs.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/bouldermapserv46?
version=1.0.0&SERVICE=WFS&request=GetFeature&TYPENAME=buildings&outputfo
rmat=KML&bbox=-105.2578135375255,39.99054716346154,-105.24581541255,40.0
0435364626606

you can create a network link in GE pointing at this url.

> Are you pulling style information from MapServer style objects?

not yet, although that sounds like the way to do it.

> Thinking about it you could handle most of the configuration via
> metadata:
>
>   'kml_z_item'        'elevation'
> linestyle></style>'
>   or
>   'kml_style_item'   'style'
>
> I guess I need to read a bit more about KML to comment more. I've
> got the spec in my office but haven't thumbed through it.
>
> Another idea was to produce KML using standard MapServer query
> templates and the [shpxy...] tag. The styling information would
> live in the templates rather than in the mapfile.

my reading of the KML spec has been more demand driven--"how do i
produce this". i need to take a more careful look at it along with
your most helpful comments to see how to proceed. i haven't done a
lot with templates, so i'll have to look at that too.

thanks for the feedback.

later,

hal