RFC 13 : SOS support

Thu Feb 23 22:45:22 EST 2006

Assefa,

While I don't have a vote on this, I am concerned about integrating this
with mapserver from the point of view that it did not seem to be a
feature that was useful to the community at large. In fact it seemed to
be a custom extension that only 1 or 2 people might use, but maybe I
don't remember that point all that well.

Anyway, my concern is that if it is added to the core mapserver, even
with #ifdef blocks, think there is some obligation of the developers to
build and test these features when things change, additional over head
of documentation, training, beta testing, bug fixes, etc. This all adds
to the overhead of development and maintenance and slows down the process.

After reading the RFC again and looking at the example URL, it is not
obvious that this has anything to do directly with serving maps. It
looks like it is just using the existing OGC infrastructure in the
mapserver code base. Granted mapserver does queries and this looks like
it is doing queries, but then so does every database.

Can the sensor observations be rendered as a layer?
Will you be able to style them like other layers?

So I think it should be looked at in terms of the costs versus the
benefits to the general community. I thought in the original
presentation of the RFC there was an option to build this as a separate
project dependent on but separate to mapserver which seems to be a
better option from my perspective, but maybe I am not understanding the
full scope of the project correctly.

I do want to say kudos on the RFC, it is very detailed and informative,
but I'm just not sure it should be included in mapserver.

Best regards,
   -Steve W.