RFC 13 : SOS support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Feb 24 00:00:58 EST 2006

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Assefa,
>
> While I don't have a vote on this, I am concerned about integrating this
> with mapserver from the point of view that it did not seem to be a
> feature that was useful to the community at large. In fact it seemed to
> be a custom extension that only 1 or 2 people might use, but maybe I
> don't remember that point all that well.
>
> Anyway, my concern is that if it is added to the core mapserver, even
> with #ifdef blocks, think there is some obligation of the developers to
> build and test these features when things change, additional over head
> of documentation, training, beta testing, bug fixes, etc. This all adds
> to the overhead of development and maintenance and slows down the process.
>
> After reading the RFC again and looking at the example URL, it is not
> obvious that this has anything to do directly with serving maps. It
> looks like it is just using the existing OGC infrastructure in the
> mapserver code base. Granted mapserver does queries and this looks like
> it is doing queries, but then so does every database.
>
> Can the sensor observations be rendered as a layer?
> Will you be able to style them like other layers?
>
> So I think it should be looked at in terms of the costs versus the
> benefits to the general community. I thought in the original
> presentation of the RFC there was an option to build this as a separate
> project dependent on but separate to mapserver which seems to be a
> better option from my perspective, but maybe I am not understanding the
> full scope of the project correctly.

Steve,

I can see your concern, but to me the SOS support seems closely analygous
to the WFS support.  It doesn't produce a map, but it does provide another
interface to the underlying data objects, like WFS.  I see implementing this
as part of a commitment within MapServer to implement OGC services that make
sense in the context of MapServer.

Because of that, I'm "+1".

I would appreciate some discussion of what auto-testing is planned for the
SOS feature.  I think this is especially important since most developers will
not be familiar with SOS support and how to test it manually.