RFC 13 : SOS support

Pericles S. Nacionales naci0002 at UMN.EDU
Fri Feb 24 10:21:10 EST 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 20:33, Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
> Is it possible to get comments and votes on this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   As mentionned a few weeks ago on the list, we were working on trying
> > to  have an SOS support in Mpaserver using the same concepts applied for
> > wms/wfs/wcs.  There is an RFC explaining more on what the intentions
> > are.  Could you please have a look and give feed backs if possiible.
> >
> >  Thanks
> >

> >    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-13

I like the detailed RFC.  Well done.  I've taken Stephen's arguments into
consideration but believe that this is ultimately a good thing mostly because
I believe MapServer should support OGC specs/standards.  The concerns about
metadata stuff is very valid and I hope we could find a better way to
consolidate the common tags.  Or rethink how metadata is supported in
MapServer--perhaps get rid of the prefixes in the metadata and add a
map/layer or even metadata level keyword like OWSSERVICE that accepts values
like WMS, WFS, WCS, SOS, etc...  but that's another topic.

I'm ready to vote but would like to see other people's opinion on this.

-Perry