OracleSpatial 10i GetExtent slow

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Fri Feb 24 10:25:44 EST 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Hallgren Johan E wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have used the mapscript function getExtent for a layer, to get the
>> extent, that one was slow. Do you mean that the msOWSGetLayerExtent
>> would be faster?
>>
>> Could it be possible to change the logic so the function I need would
>> run the msOWSGetLayerExtent instead?
>
> Johan / others,
>
> I'm no expert on this area of the code, but it definitely seems
> like we
> ought to offer a mapscript mechanism that works like
> msOWSGetLayerExtent,
> using layer metadata if available.
>
> In the meantime Johan, if you already know your extents (as you
> would have
> to for setting up OWS metadata on a layer) you could just modify your
> mapscript application to hardcode the extent or perhaps to pull it
> manually
> from layer metadata.

Layers have an extent just like the map, so that's probably better
than the metadata. layerObj.getExtent will preferentially return the
layer's extent attribute, and then fall back on a query of the
datasource.

I can't say for sure if this is implemented for the PHP mapscript.

cheers,
Sean

---
Sean Gillies