RFC 13 : SOS support

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Fri Feb 24 10:40:08 EST 2006

Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
> On Thursday 23 February 2006 20:33, Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to get comments and votes on this ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>  As mentionned a few weeks ago on the list, we were working on trying
>>>to  have an SOS support in Mpaserver using the same concepts applied for
>>>wms/wfs/wcs.  There is an RFC explaining more on what the intentions
>>>are.  Could you please have a look and give feed backs if possiible.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-13
>

> I like the detailed RFC.  Well done.  I've taken Stephen's arguments into
> consideration but believe that this is ultimately a good thing mostly because
> I believe MapServer should support OGC specs/standards.  The concerns about
> metadata stuff is very valid and I hope we could find a better way to
> consolidate the common tags.  Or rethink how metadata is supported in
> MapServer--perhaps get rid of the prefixes in the metadata and add a
> map/layer or even metadata level keyword like OWSSERVICE that accepts values
> like WMS, WFS, WCS, SOS, etc...  but that's another topic.
>
> I'm ready to vote but would like to see other people's opinion on this.
>
> -Perry

Perry,

  I understand that the use of the metadata concept was exapanded beyond
the initial idea. We kind of used it (maybe abused it) for all ogc
implemnations. I am not sure and I have not really though of what would
be the best solution if we have to redo things again.
  There is work done to be able to accomodate common tags between all
the ogc specs. For eample you could have a ows_address metadata thet
woule be pickec up by all services. You could also have wms_address
which has prioprity on the ows_xxxx tags, giving you the abilily to also
define things per service.  This definitly help those serving ogc
services not duplicate their data.

  Later,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst