OracleSpatial 10i GetExtent slow

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Feb 27 10:50:18 EST 2006

Hallgren Johan E wrote:
> I hope you all understood that there still is a need for function that
> retrieves the layerextent from metadata if it's available (as Frank
> mentions). In my case we have over a million records in the table and to
> calculate extent for the layer by go true all those records will take to
> much time.

As Sean wrote, layers have an EXTENT attribute that you can set and if
it is set then it will be returned directly instead of scanning the
Oracle layer. This is already in place and does the same as what a
metadata would do.