Feature polls...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Jan 12 22:33:28 EST 2006

On 1/12/06, Steve Lime <steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:
> Hi all: What do you think of using polls to help prioritize development work in certain cases. I still do the bulk of
> my MapServer development just for the hell of it so $'s don't set priority in those cases. It's more personal
> preference or what I feel like doing. Perhaps that's ok since the time is being donated. That said, knowing what
> is of interest to the larger community would help, could even help focus investment by interested parties, and
> would help define a roadmap for each version.

Steve,

I think some "feature polls" would be a good idea.

> At the moment I'm thinking about the following areas:
>
>   - converting GEOS code to use the C wrapper

Note that this is important to those producing packages for
Debian or Red Hat, as otherwise there ends up being a fragile
dependency on a particular version of GEOS (much like there
is a fragile dependence on a particular version of GDAL/OGR
due to the use of the OGR C++ API in mapogr.cpp).

>   - single pass queries

This has the potential to resolve some significant performance
problems, *and* to make it less critical that OGR drivers properly
identify and use an "FID".

>   - thick wu-lines
>   - label prioritization support (wouldn't need most annotation layers)
>   - relative positioning of inline features

I suspec these changes that provide visual improvements will be
of my interest to users.  Of course, they don't matter much to me.