MapServer and Sensor Observation Service

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Fri Jan 27 15:01:25 EST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are working with Tom to implement a Sensor Observation Service
> (SOS).
> Since they already have a bunch of WMS/WFS services based on
> MapServer,
> they would like to have this as an extension to MapServer, with the
> same
> configuration mechanism that their administrators are already used to.
> However, the SOS is in this grey area of features that may or may not
> belong in MapServer depending on how we look at them.
>
> So we are considering two options on which we would like to have your
> opinion:
>
> 1- Implement SOS as a new service type supported by MapServer (i.e.
> mapsensor.c) just like the current WMS/WFS/WCS support, an optional
> feature that could be enabled/disabled at compile-time.
>
> 2- Create a separate project independent of MapServer for the SOS. It
> would be built on top of map.h and libmap, but would not be part of
> the
> MapServer source and distribution.
>
> In both cases, the result would be more or less the same: a SOS
> that is
> configured via a the same MapServer mapfiles that are used for WMS/
> WFS,
> and that uses the same data access methods from maplayer.c... the
> question is really whether we think that this feature belongs in
> MapServer (#1) or not (#2).
>
> Daniel

Ugh. How about the easy approach?

Python: OGR (Data) -> Elementtree (XML) -> Twisted (my preference,
but whatever works) -> Web. This would take just a couple days. Check
out my cheap-o WFS for an example of a similar application: http://
zcologia.com/news/33.

Or Java. JDBC connection to PostGIS, through GeoTools, and out via
servlet.

cheers,
Sean

---