Java MapScript Versions

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 29 04:17:30 EDT 2006

On 7/28/06, Diego Magni <diego.magni at polimi.it> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm implementing a mobile GIS with Java MapScript on an Apache
> Tomcat-based platform.
>
> I've started the implementation with the obsolete version of Java
> MapScript, downloaded from http://hobu.stat.iastate.edu/mapserver/.
>
> Now, I need to update my implementation, but the new version of Java
> MapScript (from MS4W distribution,
> http://maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=downloads.html) is quite
> different and some methods have been changed or removed.

Hi Diego,
this is quite possible. Java mapscript has evolved quite a lot in the
last years and backward compatibility may have been traded for
functionality.
Just out of curiosity, what old version where you using and what
methods do you find changed? Over time i have upgraded a GIS web app
of mine from ancient 4.4.x to the CVS version and found that very few
changes were necessary and all between mapserver 4.4 and 4.6.

> I'd like to use a current downloadable version: is the MS4W version
> stable? Are new versions of Java MapScript going to be published? Will
> they follow the MS4W version template?

Since Java mapscript is shipped together with the mapserver source the
idea is that a new Java mapscript is released whenever a new mapserver
is released. I do not know if the MS4W mantainers ship a new package
whenever mapserver is released or if they use cvs (that is
development) versions. By looking at their site it seems that the
latest MS4W is using the 4.8.4 mapserver version.

Regards,
Umberto