Proposing to support for creating maps with mapserv.exe using the command li

Wed Jun 21 15:54:45 EDT 2006

It wouldn't require touching that much more code. There aren't that many places
a mime-type is output: maps/images, browse templates, query templates, and
the OGC services.

I agree that using output redirection is probably enough. Supressing the headers
could be done with a command-line switch or simply a CGI parameter.

I would support the modification in that form...

Steve

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Frank,
>
> My primary aim was to enable the image creation by using mapserver as
> a command line tool by utilizing the sophisticated funcionality
> provided by mapserv.exe. The implementation suggested was obvious
> requiring few line to be changed. Suppressing the header seems to be
> equivalent for me and i am ready to move into this direction if
> needed.
> However i am a bit uncertain about the benefit using the OWS
> functionality this way. It requires to change much amount of code that
> i haven't addressed.
> I am not disagreed about the latter if someone can convince me of the
> usability of this functionality.

Tamas,

I think similar uses would apply.  You could use a query string that
is a WFS request, and capture the resulting GML to a file for instance.
Currently this sort of use is frustrated by the manditory return of the
content type which must then be stripped off somehow.

I would agree that applying the change more widely would require
touching more code.  But as long as you leave routing to a file to
normal shell redirection, it would not be necessary to alter hard stuff,
just control whether content-type headers are emitted.