Perl vs PHP Mapscript

Mon Jun 26 13:03:44 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm looking at the Mapscript documentation and some PHP methods for the
map object are not documented in the Mapscript API documentation.

Specifically:

array getLayersIndexByGroup(string groupname)
array getAllGroupNames()
array getAllLayerNames()

I haven't done a comparison, I just noticed these few. I hope this is a
documentation bug and not that PHP/Mapscript is diverging.

I also just checked swiginc/map.i and I do not see these in it.  :(

I think it is the responsibility of the PHP/Mapscript developers to
either update the swig bindings or to write a bug for all new mapscript
functionality that needs to be mirrored into swig mapscript AND vica
versa for swig mapscript developers to write a bug against PHP mapscript.

It is very frustrating to try and port code when the functionality does
not map across languages.

I might suggest adding specifically formatted comments that contains
strings that can be extracted automatically that would allow a perl
script to compare CLASS:(ATTRIBUTE|METHOD(ARGS)) between the two. This
could also be used to compare against the last run to generate a list of
new features that need to be documented.

Thoughts?

-SteveW