Perl vs PHP Mapscript

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Jun 26 22:02:26 EDT 2006

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at the Mapscript documentation and some PHP methods for the
> map object are not documented in the Mapscript API documentation.
>
> Specifically:
>
> array getLayersIndexByGroup(string groupname)
> array getAllGroupNames()
> array getAllLayerNames()
>
> I haven't done a comparison, I just noticed these few. I hope this is a
> documentation bug and not that PHP/Mapscript is diverging.
>
> I also just checked swiginc/map.i and I do not see these in it.  :(
>
> I think it is the responsibility of the PHP/Mapscript developers to
> either update the swig bindings or to write a bug for all new mapscript
> functionality that needs to be mirrored into swig mapscript AND vica
> versa for swig mapscript developers to write a bug against PHP mapscript.
>
> It is very frustrating to try and port code when the functionality does
> not map across languages.

This issue of synchronizing php and the swig mapscript was raised few
years back and we have since tried (at least in the last couple of
years) to make sure that new functions added are implemented the same
way across the languages. As you suggested bugzilla is used to
communicate the information. The functions you mentioned were done
before we addressed the issue and unfortunately we did not do a rigorous
sync of the api for existing functions.

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca