MapServer 4.8.2

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Thu Mar 16 16:36:11 EST 2006

Frank reminded me last night that according to MS RFC 1, we actually
have to call a vote to have a release.  Also, someone needs to be the
release manager.  I propose that we release MapServer 4.8.2 on
Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of next week, contingent on
Steve's  symbol fixes.  I volunteer to be the release manager for this release.

Another very useful feature of the MapServer 4.8.2 release will be
that DM Solutions and myself will be using the same build kit for
compiling and distributing Windows binaries.  This means that folks
will be able to generally swap in dlls of this and that to get things
like Oracle Spatial and ArcSDE functionality.  All of the optional or
license encumbered drivers for GDAL have been compiled as plugins, so
if you have the dlls for those drivers and set the magic
configuration directive, you'll be good to go.  This development
should streamline things for windows users quite a bit and hopefully
reduce some frustrations of having mismatching bits of functionality
across the various MapServer windows builds.  Thanks to Assefa, Jeff,
and Adam Hill for working with me on this.

Howard