Infos on connection pooling

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Mar 17 12:26:21 EST 2006

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Is there any documentation on the way connection pooling works in
> MapServer? I did a search on the website and found only two references:
>
> A section of the OGR HOWTO:
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/ogr_howto/#connection-pooling
>
> and a paragraph under the PROCESSING directive in the mapfile/layer docs:
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/layer/?searchterm=connection%20pooling
>

> Is the information in the OGR howto the most complete doc that we have
> for this feature?

Daniel,

In fact, there is a completely different mechanism used for connection
pooling for the OGR layers currently.  The database data types all use
the mappool.c mechanism.  I likely ought to do the same for OGR.

In any event, I did use the same keyword and it has roughly the same effect
in both cases.

The OGR docs report:

"This use of CLOSE_CONNECTION handling is unique to OGR layers, and may be
changed at some point in the future as part of a broader implementation of
connection pooling in MapServer."

This extension has happened and the doc should likely be updated accordingly.

> Also, the LAYER docs says that Oracle connections support pooling. Is
> this support complete? Are there any known issues with using connection
> pooling with Oracle layers?

As far as I know this works fine.