RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 12 19:46:16 EDT 2006

Frank,

Agreed and supported :)
Is it possible to add the new items automatically on demand?
Could we use a compiler switch to revert to the statically allocated
behaviour if needed?

Tamas

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Developers List [mailto:MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Frank Warmerdam
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 8:48 PM
To: MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing

Folks,

There was yet another request for a mapserver compiled with larger
sizes for one of the MS_MAX* macros on #mapserver today, and it drove
me over the edge!  I flipped out!

The result is RFC 17.  I propose to spend a day overhauling MapServer
to use dynamic sizing for all the important "limits" (symbols, layers,
classes and styles).

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-17

While it is open to discussion and ammendment, I'll accept votes even now.

I won't actually implement it till after I'm done the RFC 16 work.

I'm going RFC crazy!

I furthermore unofficially propose the next version be called
MapServer 5.0, code named "Dynamic Dodger" in honour of the alliterative
Ubuntu code names (ie. Breezy Badger, Dapper Duck).

Best regards
--
warmerdam at pobox.com