A MapServer 5.0 Branch? (Re: RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing)

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Mon May 15 11:21:20 EDT 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 9:08 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>> Maybe this work could be done in a new branch and we could take
>> advantage of the opportunity to ditch some unsupported or outdated
>> aspects of MapServer: non-OGR mysql, image maps, flash, cartoline.
>
> Sean,
>
> I don't see why it needs to be in a distinct branch.  The more I
> see how
> things work in the GeoTools project, the more I am nervous about
> experimental branches for "next generation" technology.
>
>> It's funny that I made a very similar proposal about 2 years ago,
>> but the response from other developers at the time was "YAGNI".
>>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?
>> RefactoringObjectCollections
>
> I'm not sure what YAGNI means (Yet Another Gillies New Idea?) but
> skimming
> the proposal I think it is more radical than anything I'm proposing
> and
> consequently more disruptive.

YAGNI = You aren't gonna need it

The closer RFC 17 becomes to a serious, generally useful, list
implementation the more excited I will be to help.

Sean

---
Sean Gillies
http://zcologia.com