A MapServer 5.0 Branch? (Re: RFC 17: Dynamic Array Sizing)

Mon May 15 12:44:45 EDT 2006

I kinda agree that a branch probably isn't necessary. This touches so many files
that merging will be a pain in the butt. I think we're a bit out from a 4.10/5.0 release
so that there's still ample time to implement and fix.

Steve

Sean Gillies wrote:
> Maybe this work could be done in a new branch and we could take
> advantage of the opportunity to ditch some unsupported or outdated
> aspects of MapServer: non-OGR mysql, image maps, flash, cartoline.

Sean,

I don't see why it needs to be in a distinct branch.  The more I see how
things work in the GeoTools project, the more I am nervous about
experimental branches for "next generation" technology.

> It's funny that I made a very similar proposal about 2 years ago, but
> the response from other developers at the time was "YAGNI".
>
>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RefactoringObjectCollections

I'm not sure what YAGNI means (Yet Another Gillies New Idea?) but skimming
the proposal I think it is more radical than anything I'm proposing and
consequently more disruptive.

> Frank, count on me for help with testing the effects on Python mapscript.

Thanks, I appreciate that!