RFC-18: Encryption of passwords in mapfiles

Fri May 26 13:42:23 EDT 2006

I have created RFC-18 that proposes a mechanism to encrypt database
connection information (mostly passwords) in mapfiles:

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-18

Other than trying to figure out how to use OpenSSL, this is a relatively
simple addition that shouldn't have much impact on MapServer.

Before we vote on this, I would be interested in feedback from the
various database connection maintainers since I want this to work for at
least PostGIS, Oracle Spatial, SDE and OGR.

Also, if anyone has experience with OpenSSL or pointers to sample code
that uses it to do a similar task then I would be very interested
(Unfortunately the OpenSSL documentation seems to be quite poor). I'm
also interested if you know of better/simpler alternatives that could be
used instead of OpenSSL for the encryption functions.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/