addition of language metadata

Thu Nov 2 14:28:29 EST 2006

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone think that something like:
>
> MAP/WEB/METADATA/"ows_language"
>
> Would be valuable?  Note that language is a part of the OGC OWS Common
> 1.0.0 specification.  Example:

Since I don't think any OGC spec supports language as a request
parameter, all this ows_language metadata would do is allow the server
to report to clients in which language it was configured and in which
error messages and capabilities metadata are returned, right?

Actually, since error messages in MapServer are currently hardcoded in
English, does it really make sense to specify any value other than
English for exceptions?

Um... I'm starting to realize that this is useless until we have the
ability to translate error messages in MapServer... and at that point
what we'll need is a LANGUAGE mapfile parameter to control the feature
for all of MapServer and not just OGC services.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/