addition of language metadata

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Thu Nov 2 15:56:20 EST 2006

Not really.  We just need to agree on one language for exceptions, so
"en-US" would be fine with me unless there are objections.  That is,
until if/when we start doing internationalization for MapServer error
messages :)

> > In terms of content, I think this would be valuable in
> preparation for
> > OWS Common support.
> >

> But since exceptions are hardcoded in English then we'd need
> two ows_language settings: one for exceptions and one for content.
>
> Let's say I setup a OGC service with in French, I would set
> "ows_content" to "fr-CA" and this value could be used in the
> header of the GetCapabilities response, but we do *not* want
> this value used for exceptions which are hardcoded in English.

OK, so what about agreeing on hardcoding OWS Common XML ExceptionReport
messages with "en-US", and "ows_language" for the language for things
like stuff like DataIdentification (which msOWSGetLanguage would be
applied)?

> Will clients get confused if they get the capabilities in one
> language and the exceptions in another language?

They *shouldn't*, seeing that they should check the @language attribute
of the XML response for ExceptionReport and DataIdentification.

HTTP headers would get more complex, since the client may ask for a
specific language (i.e. Accept-Language=en-US,en;q=0.5), and the server
would respond with Content-Language=ows_language).

What is MapServer's current stance on HTTP header responses for
outputting language?  It looks like this isn't implemented yet (mind
you, it would need more discussion).

> Daniel
>
> P.S. It's funny to see our roles reversed: I have switched to
> the user side asking the tough design questions and you are
> now on the developer side having to find solutions to answer
> them. Either way we keep arguing which is good. ;)

My sentiments exactly! :)