Bug 1957, a solution... (sort of)

Mon Nov 13 16:43:43 EST 2006

I think Frank is correct on both counts. Rendering quality is only one
reason to
look at alternatives. The alternatives aren't perfect either and suffer
from too
much reliance on a single gifted developer.

That said, I've always thought a GD engine would continue to be a part
of
MapServer. It does work well in general and meets the needs of most
users.

Steve

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> How does this relate to talk of using alternatives graphic rendering
> engines (cairo, etc.) in lieu of GD?

Tom,

One view is that the lack of maintenance of GD is another reason to
push
to a new rendering engine that is more vital.

An alternate view might be that our community taking on maintenance of
GD
would give us the opportunity to improve it with better rendering
quality
functions to serve our needs, moderating our need for other rendering
engines.

warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo,
http://osgeo.org