Bug 1957, a solution... (sort of)

Thu Nov 16 14:19:57 EST 2006

Yet another update. There is a new site http://www.libgd.org/ that will
inject
life into the project I think. The AA bug we've been patching by hand
is fixed and
some other stuff too. Bob Bray is going to pass along his patches as
well. Should
be a 2.0.34 release soon...

I'll try their CVS version and see how it works for bugs 1957 and
1958...

Steve

>>> Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at DNR.STATE.MN.US> 11/16/2006 11:42:03 AM >>>
An update. I heard from Thomas, and indeed staff from the PHP project
are taking over maintenance of GD. He forwarded my message to those
folks so we'll see where that goes. I've also contacted Bob Bray to
get
information on what they fixed too. Ideally I'd like to see the
Autodesk
patches (they may of made some API changes though), the AA patch and
those by John Ellson all  incorporated into a new version out of the
PHP
camp. We'll see...

Steve

>>> Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at DNR.STATE.MN.US> 11/14/2006 11:36:25 AM >>>
Thanks Peter, I'll check that out. As an aside I contacted John Ellson
the author of the Freetype support in GD. He too is frustrated, and
has
submitted
patches that have gone unapplied. He has a GD tree in his Graphviz
package
(http://www.graphviz.org/) that has his modifications. Yuck, that's 3
versions out
there. Put them together and it's probably pretty good.

I'll try contacting Thomas Boutell again...

Steve

>>> Peter Slootweg <pasconsult at TELUS.NET> 11/13/2006 8:49:09 PM >>>
I am not sure if you are aware of this thread but it looks like gd is
in
the process of being transferred to php - although it looks like a
very

slow transfer.

http://groups.google.ca/group/mailing.www.php-dev/browse_frm/thread/353d2411f77049f1/ad416ef2d52739aa?lnk=st&q=&rnum=2&hl=en#ad416ef2d52739aa

look at the message from pierre in the thread and he seems to indicate

2.0.34 is in the works - not sure what it includes though.

There is also this thread from back in April where the move was
initiated
http://groups.google.ca/group/mailing.www.php-dev/browse_frm/thread/f30cd25624b4e8cb/32cb3ee417d0b5ab?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#32cb3ee417d0b5ab

Steve Lime wrote:
> There hasn't been a new version of GD in two years and no indication
> that one is planned soon. I believe the Autodesk folks had submitted
all
> of their changes to the GD authors. The last contact I had with the
GD
> guys was related to the serious bounds checking error they have with
> antialiased rendering. At that time he indicated a new version was
in
> the
> works but never answered follow-up emails inquiring about timing,
access
> to beta versions and so forth. That was 6 to 9 months ago.
>
> Steve

> Perhaps more back-story is required... why isn't the change just
> going into vanilla GD?

> On 12-Nov-06, at 9:27 PM, Steve Lime wrote:
>

>> Hi all: I've been putzing around with bug 1957 testing. It's a
problem
>> with GD where it's clipping too soon with brushed lines which
leaves
>> artifacts along image edges. The wider the line the more obvious
the
>> artifact. Plays havoc when tiling. Anyway, on a whim I installed
the
>> version of GD that Autodesk updated as part of MapGuide figuring
they
>> must have seen this behavior. They did and that code works great,
no
>> artifacts.
>>
>> So, what to do next? I don't want to have to fix GD yet again and I

>> know
>> Bob and Gary had always intended to contribute their GD
modifications
>> back to that project. I'm wondering about the possiblity of de-
>> coupling
>> the Autodesk version of GD from MapGuide for a broader
distribution-