Revised RFC 1 - Need Comments

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Oct 11 15:08:50 EDT 2006

I am also uncomfortable with the TSC anointing itself as the PSC.  I
propose that ratification of the new RFC 1 (or 20) and PSC come from
the community via non-anonymous poll like we did for RFC 10 (Join
OSGeo).  After ratification, the community nominates folks that it
wants for the 2 open community seats and votes them in via the same process.

What about the concept of terms?  I think to have it truly represent
the project, the community must have the ability at some point to
swap out members of the PSC (not just having the PSC swap its own
members in and out).  The RFC talks about inactivity, which is
probably the most common reason why someone would be replaced.  I
would propose that the term for all PSC seats be 2 years or 2
releases, whichever is shorter.  Five technical seats and four
community seats (as currently proposed).  To be eligible for a
technical seat, you would have to be a CVS committer.  No special
qualifications for a community seat.  After your term is up, the
community yay or nays you for another term.  We would need more
details of how this might actually work.  Is this a bad idea?

A big take home message of FOSS4G for me this year was Jim
Westervelt's keynote where he talked about GRASS and continuous and
somewhat predictable releases.  GRASS sort of withered away as
releases dried up (to be resurrected later by the current GRASS crew)
.  It's my opinion that the PSC's #1 job is to make sure releases
happen in a timely and regular manner.  Without releases open source
projects die.  I would add that thanks to Daniel, 4.10 was the
tightest and best-organized MapServer release I've been a part of so
far.  Thanks Daniel!

Calling this RFC 20 or RFC 1 makes no difference to me.  Either way,
the original RFC 1 needs to stick around in some form and link to the
current constitution ;)

I would add that I'm a bit hesitant to start creating lots of
subcommittees to do this and that task.  My experience with OSGeo is
this can generate a lot of communication overhead, especially if you
have to start following all of them to have a picture of what
developments are happening and where things are going.  They also
tend to add meeting time pressure, and they can disrupt serendipitous
and adhoc contribution.  What are other folks' opinions here?

Howard