FW: [wfs-dev] summary of changes from wfs 1.0 to 1.1?

Mon Oct 16 17:19:05 EDT 2006

I'd like to see 1.1 in MapServer 5.0. I suppose this list (primarily
GetFeature) could be developed
into an RFC. Some things are already there, but others may prove to be
time consuming to
implement... An RFC might help put some costs on the task, enough to
see if someone might
be interested in funding.

Steve

>>> "Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]" <Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA> 10/16/2006
10:53:38 AM >>>
FYI below.  A good summary of changes for OGC:WFS 1.1 (thought I'm not
sure what MapServer plans are for supporting 1.1).

-----Original Message-----
From: wfs-dev-bounces+tom.kralidis=ec.gc.ca at opengeospatial.org
[mailto:wfs-dev-bounces+tom.kralidis=ec.gc.ca at opengeospatial.org] On
Behalf Of Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos
Sent: 16 October, 2006 11:51 AM
To: Chris Holmes
Cc: geoserver-devel at lists.sourceforge.net; wfs-dev at opengeospatial.org;
Ian Turton
Subject: Re: [wfs-dev] summary of changes from wfs 1.0 to 1.1?

Chris,

Good summary.

However, F.Y.I, joins are being removed from the specification in the
next release.

Ciao.

Chris Holmes wrote:
> I just pulled this together from some notes that I made for our
> implementation, so it's a bit rough, but should give a decent
starting

> point.  We've got a basic WFS (caps, describe and getfeature) on a
> branch in GeoServer, and are close to done with transaction stuff.
> Justin may have some more to add, as he's been doing the
implementation.

> Soap Wrappers     For all operations
>
> Get Feature WFS 1.1
>     Results as hits
>     SortBy
>     Reprojection
>     * Xlink properties (get gml object stuff)
>     GML 3.1.1
>
> Describe WFS 1.1
>     GML 3.1.1 (no other changes afaik)
>
> Transaction WFS 1.1
>     Reprojection in Insert
>     IdGen options:
>
> GenerateNew (default)
>   The web feature service shall generate unique identifiers for all
> newly inserted feature instances.
> UseExisting

> use the gml:id attribute values on inserted features and elements. If

> any of those IDs duplicates the ID of a feature or element already
> stored in the WFS, the WFS shall raise an exception.
> ReplaceDuplicate
>    A WFS client can request that the WFS generate IDs to replace the

> input values of gml:id attributes of feature elements that duplicate

> the ID of a feature or element already stored in the WFS, instead of

> raising an exception, by setting the idgen attribute of the
> InsertElementType to the value "ReplaceDuplicate".
>

> LockFeature WFS 1.1    No changes, except GML 3.1.1
>
> GetGMLObject WFS 1.1
>     New Operation (that doesn't make much sense imho, we're not
> implementing for WFS 1.1) tells the server to return remote xlinks.
>

> GetCapabilities WFS 1.1
>     SRS reporting
>     GetGMLObject caps mods
>     Version negotiation (not new, but wasn't an issue before with
just

> one version of spec)
>

> Filter 1.1
>      GML 3.1.1 parser
>      SortBy
>      Joins
>

> Chris
>

> Ian Turton wrote:
>> Does any one have a document that summarises the changes between the

>> WFS 1.0 and 1.1 specifications? If not I guess I'll have to read
>> through the specs and the change requests and work it out but
>> obviously if someone else has already done this that would be
great.

>> Thanks
>> Ian

Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos          CubeWerx Inc.
Big Kahuna (Senior Database Developer)  http://www.cubewerx.com
Tel. 416-701-1985 Fax. 416-701-9870     pvretano at cubewerx.com

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first
  create the universe." -- Carl Sagan