FW: [wfs-dev] summary of changes from wfs 1.0 to 1.1?

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Mon Oct 16 11:53:38 EDT 2006

FYI below.  A good summary of changes for OGC:WFS 1.1 (thought I'm not
sure what MapServer plans are for supporting 1.1).

-----Original Message-----
From: wfs-dev-bounces+tom.kralidis=ec.gc.ca at opengeospatial.org
[mailto:wfs-dev-bounces+tom.kralidis=ec.gc.ca at opengeospatial.org] On
Behalf Of Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos
Sent: 16 October, 2006 11:51 AM
To: Chris Holmes
Cc: geoserver-devel at lists.sourceforge.net; wfs-dev at opengeospatial.org;
Ian Turton
Subject: Re: [wfs-dev] summary of changes from wfs 1.0 to 1.1?

Chris,

Good summary.

However, F.Y.I, joins are being removed from the specification in the
next release.

Ciao.

Chris Holmes wrote:
> I just pulled this together from some notes that I made for our
> implementation, so it's a bit rough, but should give a decent starting

> point.  We've got a basic WFS (caps, describe and getfeature) on a
> branch in GeoServer, and are close to done with transaction stuff.
> Justin may have some more to add, as he's been doing the
implementation.

> Soap Wrappers     For all operations
>
> Get Feature WFS 1.1
>     Results as hits
>     SortBy
>     Reprojection
>     * Xlink properties (get gml object stuff)
>     GML 3.1.1
>
> Describe WFS 1.1
>     GML 3.1.1 (no other changes afaik)
>
> Transaction WFS 1.1
>     Reprojection in Insert
>     IdGen options:
>
> GenerateNew (default)
>   The web feature service shall generate unique identifiers for all
> newly inserted feature instances.
> UseExisting
> use the gml:id attribute values on inserted features and elements. If
> any of those IDs duplicates the ID of a feature or element already
> stored in the WFS, the WFS shall raise an exception.
> ReplaceDuplicate
>    A WFS client can request that the WFS generate IDs to replace the
> input values of gml:id attributes of feature elements that duplicate
> the ID of a feature or element already stored in the WFS, instead of
> raising an exception, by setting the idgen attribute of the
> InsertElementType to the value "ReplaceDuplicate".
>

> LockFeature WFS 1.1    No changes, except GML 3.1.1
>
> GetGMLObject WFS 1.1
>     New Operation (that doesn't make much sense imho, we're not
> implementing for WFS 1.1) tells the server to return remote xlinks.
>

> GetCapabilities WFS 1.1
>     SRS reporting
>     GetGMLObject caps mods
>     Version negotiation (not new, but wasn't an issue before with just

> one version of spec)
>

> Filter 1.1
>      GML 3.1.1 parser
>      SortBy
>      Joins
>

> Chris
>

> Ian Turton wrote:
>> Does any one have a document that summarises the changes between the
>> WFS 1.0 and 1.1 specifications? If not I guess I'll have to read
>> through the specs and the change requests and work it out but
>> obviously if someone else has already done this that would be great.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ian

Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos          CubeWerx Inc.
Big Kahuna (Senior Database Developer)  http://www.cubewerx.com
Tel. 416-701-1985 Fax. 416-701-9870     pvretano at cubewerx.com

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first
  create the universe." -- Carl Sagan