Mapserver 5 - Terminology clean-up

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at UMB.NO
Tue Oct 24 05:27:54 EDT 2006

Steve Lime wrote:
> I agree on 2) since it's somewhat lightly used, and your suggestion makes a lot of sense. However, 1) has been around so long and is so in-grained that it would likely cause more problems than it would solve. Just my opinion.

It is my perception that Mapserver is using sound
terminology throughout.  That is why I think it is
important to fix the very few errors that are present.
I would not bother about this if Mapserver had not been
so well made and well documented as it is.
I am exposing my students to Mapserver, and I do not want
its terminology to be a bad example and a source of
confusion.

1) I am very glad you agree on the TRANSPARENCY / OPACITY
    suggestion.

2) I do not think that the "has been around for so long..."
    argument is good enough to stop us from correcting
    terminology.
    I presume that all map literates will have problems the
    first time they try to use MAXSCALE - MINSCALE.
    I do not think this is what we want.
    AND - by preserving the old as a prefix for the new, we
    do not have to break backwards compatibility.
    The new keywords will be long.  Perhaps they should be
    truncated a bit (MAXSCALE_DENOM / MINSCALE_DENOM)?

I hope this is not "end of discussion", as I would very
much like to hear the opinion of others (I hope you are
not totally indifferent).

Regards,

Håvard

--
Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB