OracleSpatial attribute queries

Hallgren Johan E jhhal at WMDATA.COM
Thu Sep 14 04:30:02 EDT 2006

This is an old question but still the problem remains.

I use MapServer/MapScript/csharp.

I use the OracleSpatial built in support in MapServer.

I want to show a selected bunch of features on the map. The selection is
made only by an attribute query (postcode = 123).

By turning logging on I can se that even if I do an attribute query the
query sent to Oracle include both the envelope and the actual query.

I can catch that query and run it in SQLPlus and I will see it takes
looonnngg time to perform. If I remove the envelope it's much faster. I
have created index on both the geometry and the attribute column, but as
I can understand it's not possible to create index on shape and the
attribute column in combination.

So my question is: why must the geometry be part of the query when I
don't need it?

/Johan

Johan Hallgren

WM-data

Pelle Bergs backe 3

Box 1938, 791 19 Falun

Tel (och mobil): 023-547 46 (int: +46-2354746)

johan.e.hallgren at wmdata.com
<BLOCKED::mailto:johan.e.hallgren at wmdata.com>

http://www.wmdata.se
<BLOCKED::/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.wmdata.se/>