extending queries with (php_) mapscript

Paul Spencer pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Apr 3 21:51:17 EDT 2007

Hi devs,

I would like to be able to do some slightly fancier stuff with
queries than is currently possible using mapscript.  Specifically,
I'd like to be able to extend an existing selection and optionally
toggle shapes in the result set.

I was hoping that simply loading a previously saved query and then
querying would do the 'extend' part but it seems queries flush
existing results.

I think what would solve my problem would be to call addResult from
(php_) mapscript.  Then I could:

* load the saved query
* get the indexes of the existing results
* flush all results
* run the new queries
* get the indexes of the new results and merge them with the existing
results
* flush the results
* run through the lot and add the results back
* save the query

I believe that mapquery.c has the appropriate addResult function so
this would be a matter of exposing it in (php_) mapscript and adding
the appropriate documentation.

Would this require an RFC?  Could we get it in for 5.0?  Should I be
considering another approach?

Cheers

Paul