Status of RFC 31

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at METACARTA.COM
Wed Aug 8 22:19:52 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 04:30:23PM -0500, Steve Lime wrote:
> > What do you mean by how to deal?
>
> I mean to we want to expose that function name "as is", so you'd do:
>
>   $map = mapscript::msLoadMapFromString($string);

By Sean's example, and by correspondance with other similar Python
library functionality (PIL's similar method, for example), it sounds
like 'foo = mapscript.fromstring()' would be most in line with user
expectations in python. There is an additional benefit here that when
support is added for loading non-map obects from a string automatically
(so you can do layer = mapscript.fromstring()) the function name still
makes sense.

Different languages might have other conventions.

I think that it's clear that in most scripting langauges,
'msLoadMapFromString' might be overly verbose, though I'm not actually
sure how PHP translates that -- certainly, in Python, the
mapscript.msLoad... is repetitive.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt