Motion: include AGG freetype (2.4 version) in MapServer

Howard Butler hobu.inc at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 13:52:15 EDT 2007

All,

I've come around to thinking that the only way we can limit the
configuration/building issues we are about to inflict on our users
with AGG is to include the freetype stuff in MapServer's source.  It
seems many of the distros are treating the AGG freetype
inconsistently.  Just building AGG because of its spartan build setup
is quite a chore.  Hacking makefiles, compile targets, and link lines
to get what is needed is just too much.

I propose we take the GDAL "thirdparty" approach and put the AGG
freetype stuff in ./thirdparty/agg and update MapServer's configure/
make system to always use that.  We have done something similar in
the past with GD, right?  If so, this approach would not be
unprecedented.

Howard