Debug 2

John Cole john.cole at UAI.COM
Fri Aug 24 07:44:58 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette-2 wrote:

> This is a known issue with IIS where stderr goes to stdout and there
> doesn't seem to be anything we can do about this. If this worked in old
> releases then you've only been lucky that the debug output was not
> corrupting the images in a significant way, but the same issue was there.
>
> The solution is to NOT use stderr with IIS, set MS_ERRORFILE to write to
> a file on disk instead.

Daniel,
  The odd thing is that it doesn't corrupt the image when mode=browse, the
stderr is only redirected with the html template, not the images going to
the tmp dir.  Seems like there is some code in there to figure out when it
can append stderr and when it shouldn't somewhere, otherwise I'd expect to
see the debugging info appear in the legend, scalebar and map as well.

  In 4x, debug=on would corrupt WFS queries, but not map requests (or
scalebar, legend or legendgraphic requests).  There too, the easy solution
is to turn debugging off (or now go to a file).  It's just an inconvenience
that should probably be documented in in the reference near the MAP.DEBUG
section, just to avoid some of the image corruption questions.

Thanks,

John